Sunday, January 27, 2008

Jam Packed!

This week we bring you a few different things to keep you coming back for more: interesting sites to check out, an interview with our first featured regular, our first (hopefully of many) movie review and an interview with Destrukto!

Still need more?! Come back next week to see even more movie reviews, interviews and (brand new!) CD reviews!!

So let's get it started kids!

Looking for something to keep you busy? Check out http://www.incredimazing.com/ for a ton of random pics, be it ads from the 60s, amazing photos or just plain wierd sh*t. Here's a few examples:





*****************************************

Another thing to keep you busy is finding out about some of our fave regulars, the ones who keep coming back night after night, year after year, no matter how many times we throw them out! Haha! Just kidding! Here's two awesome ladies of Tokyo Star, and why they keep coming back for more:

fave Tokyo drink: orange slush
fave cartoon character: shego from kim possible. she is hot and sarcastic. love hher!
fave international act: mm...ok, it varies from time to time but i would say "metric" and system of a down, placebo and muse - weird combo i know. but i love them
fave dinosaur: brontosauraus- i wanna cuddle them
fave local act: lark
fave thing to do at Tokyo: dance, chat and drink!!! mostly drink!
fave drinking game: try to convince my mother im sober - is that a game?

Intense Intimidating Questionaire:
when did you first realise you had a Tokyo regular living inside you?
the first time i went to tokyo. 3 years ago. i went with my asshole ex boyfriend (a king david jock - woohoo) and he hated it. i realised i hated him and loved tokyo! Yay

what do you love most about tokyo star?
the people and the music and the fashion! and the fact that i dont see many ppl from my old school

what's playing in your car?
at the moment im listening to kings of leon and some old school garbage

which night is your fave to go to Tokyo?
tuesday, wednesday, thursday, friday and saturday - seriously. but I’ll usually be there on a tuesday night.

tell us the craziest thing that ever happened to you at Tokyo?
mmm...okay, hosting cleavage night... i had to stand outside in the freezing cold ( now remember i am wearing a low low low cut top and it was cold - very cold), free slushes kept flowing, i got hopelessly trashed, then simon pulled out the camera and in the process thought it would be fun to take a photo of my cleavage, he pulled on my top and my boob popped out, nice sizey nice! oh, and that was just the start of the night....lets just say i can be black mailed with those photos - seriously. i was sipping on tequila the entire night.

how long have you been coming to tokyo? tell us WHY?!
for 3 years now regularly. i come to see good friends, dance to good music and i guess i feel at home at tokyo. everyone is awesome and when i get kicked outta my house (which is often haha - seriously) i have a place to go and see good friends - and get drunk.

who is Toni the Tokyo regular?
i am a vertically challenged fun size girl. greg often uses my head to rest his beer. i break tables at tokyo (also another crazy night). i like cigarettes, fluffy teddy bears, my dog jesse and vodka (i like vodka alot - straight vodka) oh, and i am an unemployed actress.

if you could have sex anywhere inside Tokyo, where would it be?
how do you think i broke the table? - no seriously, hmmm, on the bar. or behind the dj box.

what do you know about Tokyo that the non-regulars don’t?

Tokyo is the friendliest place in joburg! the slush is legendary and the managers and bar ladies and guys, bouncers and staff are all one family! oh, and tuesday tequila comes cheap - R7 i think.

**********************************

Two weeks back we featured one of our old school Tokyo DJs Destrukto and his radio show which he has on Monday nights at 11pm till 1am on DSTV Channel 169 Audio bouquet and 1485AM. (Scroll down for more info on the show!) This week we've interviewed him to find out even more! Have a read:
1. who's the coolest person/band you've had on your show?
The coolest band I have had on my show as a guest so far is probably The Cutout Collective. Tim and Jason are really cool people and are obviously passionate about their music. I also respect people who have a propensity for the talking of complete bollox in a good way, I talk a huge amount of shit and enjoy it when others can do so too but without sounding dumb! It’s a talent. I have also had Ashton from The Awakening on my show, he was my first ever interview, so that was cool, it was completely unplanned and went off swimmingly. Ben (Sassquatch/Johnny Neon) was also cool, as well as Ri (Data Takashi), Keith (Klassikist), Adrian (Infidel), Jeremy (ManKAZam), Colleen (Leenie – she’s cooler than EVERYONE – we ALL love Leenie), of course Chris and Dan (Brothers Grimm or whatever they are calling themselves now – DJ Casioheart and Flicker or summat) freaking awesome dudes, as well as Nix of Ke Ai…. If I am forgetting ANYONE, please forgive me, you are ALL cool, I love you all (adopts Michael Jackson pose)

2. what did you think of cutoutcollective?
The music is very tight and complex, cool melodies. DEFINITELY the guys are seriously talented. Their live shows are fantastic too, (or so I am told, as I STILL haven’t seen them yet, I know, I am slack and useless, hahhahahah). I have already played 4 of their songs on the show, VERY cool tracks, they do not sound out of place with the likes of Digitalism etc. Awesome stuff!
3. what do you love most about tokyo star?
MAINLY the fact that it is open to new ideas and new forms of music, it’s hard to play at a place that has a set genre of music, I like the fact that anything actually goes there and that the patrons are open to anything. I also love the fact that you guys have opened up the new dancefloor and with the DJ box, that last pokey DJ box was awful, I enjoyed playing there but it was way too cramped, and it made it easier for drunk peeps to hassle the DJ, which could sometimes get a bit irritating. I love the fact that I could pitch up there on any night on my own and still find at least one of my friends there to chat to. The cleaning staff are fantastic too, very cool people, always friendly, and they remember you even if you haven’t played there for a while.

4. when did you first realise you had a DJ living inside you?
Well, MANY years ago, I have been DJ’ing for 17 years now (yes, I am an old bastard) but I already knew when I was at school that I would be a DJ. I was always that little musical terrorist that took over the hi-fi at any party and imposed my will upon everybody musically. I have always been into music for as far back as I can remember! For me it is one of the basic essentials of life, I would wither away into a pathetic blob of nothingness without music. It has always touched my soul, it has helped me through MANY a tough time and has been my one true constant through my entire life.

5. what's playing in your car?
Digitalism – Idealism, Datarock – Datarock, Simian Mobile Disco – Bugged Out (Suck My Deck) and Attack Sustain Decay Release, Fujiya & Miyagi – Fujiya & Miyagi, Boys Noize – Oi Oi Oi, Banco de Gaia – Ten Years Remixed, Justice – Justice, Ratatat – Classics, Bauhaus – Go Away White (The NEW ALBUM, coz I’m GOTH like that), Mudhoney – Piece of Cake. The Prestes – My People and Re-Sets, DFA1979 – Remixes, I normally have a Depeche Mode album or two in the car as well as a Nick Cave album or ten on any given day.

6. describe your music?
THAT is a difficult question to answer, having worked in the music industry at Hillbrow Records and CD Connexion (both sadly no more) I have an extremely broad taste in music. I have always at heart been into alternative music, from a young age, I have been listening to Bauhaus, Tones on Tail, Depeche Mode, The Birthday Party etc for decades (hahhahaha), I have also ALWAYS had a love for hip hop, I loved the broken beats from an early age, the likes of Grandmaster Flash, The Sugarhill Gang etc, I ALSO love ambient music, like the Orb, Future Sound Of London, etc as well as dance (I was involved in the Dance scene at its genesis in Johannesburg – played at probably the first rave in South Africa), I used to do chill out rooms as well at raves when they were still underground and cool, before they went commercial and shit. I also used to do breakbeat parties with the likes of DJ Fokkolnonsens, Blunted Stuntman etc, played sometimes at 206, also did jungle, etc etc etc. I love the punk funk and electro clash stuff happening as well as all the cool indie stuff going on. It’s all really part of the same underground scene that has been going on healthily here for many years and its cool to see that the emerging bands that are staring now are getting it right, the quality is exceptional (the likes of the Desmonds, KidofDoom, five men…, Cutout Collective, Johnny Neon etc etc etc it’s comparable to anything that is happening out there in the world)

7. who is Greg the DJ?
I am Greg Tucker, I am married, I am 38, I DJ, I used to do cage fighting, I used to DJ every Thursday at Tokyo Star (with Jeremy ManKaZam), used to do hip hop nights at Time Out on Tuesdays in Fourways, was the Thursday night resident at Le Club for a few years, was the DJ at Alcatraz for a long time, as well as at a club called The Cramps, also played at the 40 Watt Club, as well as at many a rave (when they were still cool and underground) as well as played at 206, as well as The Outehuis, I play sometimes at The Red Room and sometimes at Tokyo Star on Thursday nights (when Ben is feeling nice and charitableJ) I also do the Deconstruction parties with Adrian and Malcolm, as well as host my radio show on 1485AM (Jozi only) and DSTV Channel 169 Audio Bouquet on Monday nights from 11pm until 1am. I post the shows up on http://radiodeconstruction.blogspot.com/ as well as waffle on about other stuff. I love reading, as well as watching football (Man Utd), ummmmm…. Not sure what else to add really. OH, I am a salesman by day, keeps me in the cash, it’s a good job. I stay in Lonehill where we get loadshed VERY often. I travel a lot, my last trip was to Cambodia and Vietnam, have been to Peru, Chile, Indonesia, India, Thailand, UK, France, Holland, Madagascar etc etc etc…it’s fun.. Enough about me, tell me about you…..

***************************************
This week’s movie review is of the psychological thriller “Joshua”.
Plot?
The arrival of a newborn girl causes the gradual disintegration of the Cairn family; particularly for 9-year-old Joshua (Kogan), an eccentric boy whose proper upbringing and refined tastes both take a sinister turn.

Our rating?
2 out of 10

Psychological?
We generally think psychological thrillers are good to watch. They keep you on the edge of your seat, and are far more freaky cause these things do actually happen, unlike in supernatural thrillers. This movie, however, did not display any of the aspects that make for a good psychological thriller – it was lacking in a truly mentally wacked-out antagonist, a crazy twist at the end and the only thing that made it freaky (bordering on teeth-pullingly irritating) was the endless crying of the baby. The only psychological aspect came from the mother who was suffering from post-partum depression.

Thriller?
Basically the antagonist was a vindictive little boy, tired of all the attention his baby sister was getting. So he drives his mother crazy; kills the dog, the school hamsters and finally his grandmother; and then gets down to slowly tormenting his father.

Drama?
While this all may sound exciting, we spent the whole movie waiting for the climax, waiting for the arc, waiting for something truly thrilling/horrifying/vaguely scary to happen…and it never did.

Conclusion?
The movie ended abruptly, leaving everyone hanging to make up (far better) endings than the writer obviously could.

Our recommendation?
Don’t go see it. Stay home and rent “The Others” or “Sixth Sense”, even if you’ve watched them a million times…

What did you think of this movie? Post us a comment and let us know!

No comments:


A$k Your L*cal Bar%lad^es - R*byn & K@te

Hey Tokyo Starians!
We've all seen that movie where the down-on-his-luck dude walks into a bar, orders a drink and pours out his soul to an attentive barman. We kind of like the idea, but Tokyo is often too busy for us to listen to your problems and have long chats!

However, we still believe we have loads of advice to give. Write in to us and we'll be sure to help you out! We're offering advice on everything and anything - from girls to guys, from cocktails to sex, from skin problems to hot chili problems, let us help.

Email us at:

tokyostarlive@gmail.com

The response has been phenomenal - we're already receiving letters! Here are the first few replies:

Q: Whenever I come to Tokyo I feel so horrible in the morning - please help?!
A: It is all because you didn't tip last night and karma has come back to kick you in the ass.

Q: I can't seem to pleasure my girlfriend, I think it's because I'm too small...I measured and I'm only 4cms, and all my friends say they're so much bigger. Why is this the case - why me?
A: It is all because you didn't tip last night and karma has come back to kick you in the ass.

Q: I think I may be falling in love with bouncer Mike - he's just so masculine, but has such a gentle touch when he hugs me hello. Do I have a future with him?
A: Bouncer Mike is a loving husband with 3 children, but has much love to go around - the ball is in your court.

Keep those letters coming!

.

Kate and Robyn on the Dancefloor

Wh@t's hOt! & Wh@t's nOt**

This week's edition of What's Hot and What's Not has been compiled by the Tokyo Star Barladies.

What's Hot
1. Levi's dance moves
2. awesome manners
3. Keith buying us SoCo shooters
4. meeting cool chicks in the loo queue
5. berry slush

Whats Not
1. stock take
2. drunken obnoxious dudes
3. lame pick-up lines
4. chicks popping out of their tops
5. too much slush


.

T*kyo RULES!

1. have an awesomely raucous time

2. don't be rude to the staff (that includes our wonderful kitchen ladies, rugged bouncers, superb DJs, handsome managers and beautiful bar ladies)

3. be courteous and polite (we're providing you with a service - remember to say 'please' and 'thank you')

4. respect all the other patrons of Tokyo - we're all here to have an awesome time!

5. no drugs, no firearms, no under 18s - keep it clean!